Our chain can be divided into three segments: procurement, production and sales, and distribution. We created a visual for a quick and clear overview of the routes across our organisation.
Figure: Our chain
Long-term value creation
Through strategic focus, we want to actively contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals, i.e. the sustainable goals of the United Nations, to end extreme poverty, inequality, injustice and climate change. The value creation model below shows how we, through our company, want to create value in the long term and make a social difference. Economically, socially and ecologically.
Figure: Our value creation model
From stakeholder interests to materiality
Prioritise and account for our choices
At Swinkels Family Brewers we remain in constant dialogue with our stakeholders; corporate customers and consumers, employees, management teams and shareholders, suppliers, civil society organisations and authorities. We listen to the opinion of our stakeholders and have involved them in determining the most important themes that we have reported on in this report (material themes).
In 2021, we conducted a new analysis to determine if the themes included in the annual report were still applicable. We did this using the materiality analysis process according to GRI guidelines. We started with a long list of relevant social and societal topics from sector standards, covenants and the media, to then merge the topics into main themes. These themes were evaluated and prioritised by the Executive Board and external stakeholders by means of an online questionnaire and physical meetings.
We also investigated the developments in the sector and how the media refers to our company and brands. The result of the analysis was the creation of a matrix, see the figure below. Thanks to the matrix, it becomes clear at a glance where our priorities lie. It helps us make and account for our choices.
Read more about our materiality analysis
What are the most important changes?
- COVID-19 has not yet disappeared from society, and even in 2021 we, as an organisation, have had to deal with the consequences of this. Nevertheless, we deliberately chose not to include COVID-19 as a separate theme, as it has become an overall part of our business operations. We are working on a resilient company that is adaptive to its environment. COVID-19 is not the first crisis we are experiencing, nor do we expect it to be the last. We see it as part of our risk and crisis management where the well-being and safety of our people is paramount. This topic will be discussed in further detail in the chapter Safety and well-being.
- “Circular business” and “Climate change” have become even more important to external stakeholders this year.
- “Responsible drinking” is seen as less important by our stakeholders and scores lower in the materiality matrix. Nevertheless, we still consider this a very important theme. We see it as the hygiene of our business to keep reporting on this.
- Data security and privacy have been added to the materiality analysis because these topics are increasingly important to business operations. Swinkels Family Brewers has active policies in place to ensure data security. For security reasons, it was not reported on in the annual report. However, some attention was paid to it in the chapter The Intelligent Brewery.
- Local involvement is not a material theme this year either, but it does appear in the annual report each year. As a result of our purpose “seeing the world as our family”, this year we are also sharing how we interact with our community.
The main topics for 2021
Based on the materiality analysis, the direction of our strategy was evaluated and the design and content of this integrated annual report determined. The emphasis of this annual report is therefore on those topics that matter the most to us and which we can influence to a large extent.
The material themes are:
- Circular business model
- Water and wastewater
- Climate change
- Employee safety and well-being
- Good governance
- Sustainable financial growth
The material themes are proactively monitored by means of KPIs. These are reported on in order to transparently communicate progress to stakeholders. Although the following topics did not emerge as most material from the materiality analysis, we have chosen to include them in this 2021 Annual Report. As a family business, we feel we have an extra responsibility for the themes of responsible drinking and local involvement.
Figure: Our materiality matrix
Notes to the Integrated Annual Report
Read the notes to Royal Swinkels Family Brewers Holding N.V.'s 2021 digital annual report here.
Subsidiary-based CSR data
An overview of CSR data by branch in 2021 and 2020.
View the GRI content index table with references to our 2021 Annual Report here.
Read more about how we engaged with our stakeholders in various ways in 2021 here.
Read more about the governance structure Royal Swinkels Family Brewers Holding N.V. here.
Entrepreneurship involves taking risks. To achieve our ambitions, it is essential to identify these risks and reduce them to an acceptable level.
Definitions and abbreviations
An overview of terms and abbreviations used in the annual report.
Download the 2021 reporting manual here.